View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The A-11 has now hit the mainstream media -- that should get FED's attention.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/sp...17offense.html
Okay, tell me if I'm wrong:

Seven players on the LOS are 1-7 (the numbers in the schematic, not their jersey numbers, which we can't discern)
Eligible receivers have yellow dots (two guys on the end of the line and the three backs - technically I suppose the quarterback could be an eligible receiver as well?)
Ineligible receivers have red dots.
We don't know at what point this photo was taken, but if we presume this is everybody's initial positions, those are the eligibles, correct?

Doesn't seem that complicated. The spreading out of the formation makes it look funky, but they have seven guys on the line, and anybody between the ends who is numbered 1-49 or 80-99 can take the place of someone numbered 50-79 as there is a player seven yards behind the snapper ready to receive the snap. Is that correct?

Simple fixes that put the A11 guy out of business: remove the exception, and say you must have five guys between the ends numbered 50-79, period. Or that the scrimmage kick formation that triggers the exception can only be used on fourth down or in an obvious punting situation (start the debate about "obvious punting situation,").
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.