Thread: Hand checking
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
In this month’s issue of Referee Magazine, I noticed an article “Hand checking: Get RID of it”. Regarding the high school level the article stated “Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler or offensive players away from the ball.”
My question pertains to advice I have been given from some experienced officials that I should only call a foul if the defensive player is “gaining an advantage” from the hand check. Since the term “gaining an advantage” is defined differently from one official to the next, how do you handle hand checking, so that I can make correct calls this year regarding this subject?
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Use the RSBQ principle which stands for Rhythm Speed Balance and Quickness. If any of these are affected then you call a foul. If the forearm is marginal or is on the players hip once he has got even with him leave it alone as he has already beat the player and has a lane to the basket. Two hands should always be called and a repetitive tactile touch should be called as well. Always recognize the difference in a hand that is used to "size" up the player and a hand that is used to affect the dribblers intended path or freedom of movement.