View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
Refbuz - I'm not sure why you have called this shift example as an illegal formation.
I'm an Umpire, so I can say with reasonable certainty that a formation foul will NEVER be my foul, but whether it is a foul or not depends on the rules being used.

With NCAA rules it's a foul (1-4-2(b)/A.R. 1-4-2 IV/V).

In NFHS it is not a foul, as K's "penalty" for the shift is losing an eligible receiver.

Quote:
The shift has made #17 inelligible, and #47 stays inelligible, but as long as he stays on the line he is still just a lineman.
I don't remember anything about the last man on the line having a requirement to be an elligible receiver as your post implies.
I merely asked IF they shift who's LOOKING FOR WHAT.

I think that we can all agree that if something messed up is gonna happen during a game, its gonna happen on a punt.

The point of my post was to get some input to see who's got 47 to make sure that he's not going downfield on fakes or if it breaks down. In HS, he is inelligible and remains that way, but who is looking for it?

What if they shift, run a fake, and pass it to 47. He catches a pass and advances for a TD.

Who's responsibility is it to make sure that 47 doesn't go downfield and catch the game changing TD? Is it solely the umpire's call? Is there help from the wings? Does the number of officials on the field change who would catch that?

That's a train-wreck that we HAVE to catch.

It's an easy foul to get if 47 is the long-snapper and goes downfield and catches or doesn't catch the ball. Based on where 47 is lined up in this formation that call is not as easy to make.

This is kinda the direction i was looking to go.

Quote:
Whould you really flag this at the snap as illegal formation? Or just keep an eye on #47 since he was inelligible by rule even if not by position?
In a college game? I would absolutely expect the wings to throw it because it is a foul, not in a HS game though.

Quote:
Just want to get full clarification.
I hope that you got it.