View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
once you move toward the sideline or make a signal in the vicinity of the ref, we've got a penalty.
Are you not allowed to move closer to the coach that may be giving you a legitimate play call signal?

What if the signal made in the vicinity of the ref is the one made in the video above? What's that supposed to mean?

Sometimes quarterbacks and/or receivers will tap the tops of their helmets, which has a meaning to them. What if a guy makes a peace sign? A shadow puppet? Another signal that means, in the team's parlance, "I didn't understand, give me the signal again?"

How do we know? I got nothing until either the ball is snapped or the "hey, that's the wrong ball" type situation. Your umpire should know if it's the wrong ball. And, you know what? If it's an approved ball and it's been set and the RFP has blown, I don't care, you're playing with that ball, so it ain't working on me.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.