View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbock View Post
With all due respect Bretman, this seems like over umpiring to me. I don't know about your fall league in Ohio, but all the fall ball league experiences I have had in SE Texas, the leagues were instructional in nature and not to be officiated like a National tournament.......
I disagree. Keeping the pitcher within his/her limits keeps the game moving, as pointed out earlier. It also keeps the pitchers from getting surprised when they DO go to a State, Regional or National. Maybe a warning may be better in the lower leagues, but the rule should not be ignored.

When I was a kid, I played in a tournament under ASA rules. The league I played in allowed us 5 warm-ups the first inning, 3 each subsequent. Fortunately, the plate umpire at the tourney said to me in the first inning, "you get 3, pitcher." I was surprised, and I asked her, "don't I get 5?" "Nope, must be a local rule." "Oh. Okay!"

I was glad she didn't keep a silent count. Then again, we stomped that team 16-0 anyway.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.