View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would NEVER welcome a coach "pulling out the rule book" whether during the game or just after it ends.

I'd be much more likley to listen to a coach who ASKS, "Can we check the rule book?" or (even better) "Can you check with your partners?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
As not to hijack Fiascos thread about emailing or calling a coach, Here’s a new thread.

First of all, the Dean Smith/Bobby Knight comparison is apples and oranges. Not the “same theory”. Those are books chock full of opinions and strategies based on their experiences, not on rules. For example, there is not a rule that says I have to call a timeout when the opponent goes on a 10-0 run, nor do I have to switch on all screens. The rule book, however, is different. The officials’ job is to make sure a contest is finished where both teams play within a written set of rules.

Secondly, because of what I have learned here, I would never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never drag out a rule book during the course of a game. Nor would I promote it to other coaches. In fact, as an 8th year varsity coach, there is probably only one time where the thought even crossed my mind. (“Coach, the ball went in and we counted the basket, therefore it cannot be an intentional foul”)

Thirdly, the sitch I questioned:

Varsity level.
Team A down by one point. I am Coach A.
A1 hits jumper, end of game buzzer sounds as ball is passing thru basket as referee is blowing whistle for a foul on A2.
Ref waives off basket as explained in Fiasco's OP.

In this case, probably at the scorers table, there will be 2 coaches and 2-3 referees. If the referees confer that the basket is not counted, I WILL bring out my rule book. No fanfare, no stomping and snorting, just a simple rule discussion. I will not take it to the local watering hole. If the referees refuse to look at it or take offense, then the AD will be making a phone call.

Which would you prefer? A call from your assignor telling you that you kicked it -or- fix it before you leave?

Again, before I get flamed, my position is for THIS EXACT SITCH ONLY.

Tell me I'm wrong and defend it and I will take it like a man and learn.

I think this is a great situation. Now add to it that the winner of the game is going to the state semi-final game. It determines which officials are going to work the final the next night.

This is definitely going to decide the future of the crew.

Who is going to have the guts to say it is more important to get the play right?

IIRC, there was a play in the NBA or NCAA where an official went to the television monitor to get a play right. The officials might have gotten in trouble for using the monitor, but no one complained that they got it right. It brought replay to the game and it has helped.

In my opinion, all the assignors, state associations, teams etc. want is for rules to be correctly inforced. Would you rather be known as the official that got it right, or the guy who screwed up a rule and the game. Not sure what I would do, but if it prevented me from blowing the game, it could very well be worth it. Bringing out the rulebook is going to be a problem, but if something like what Bob suggested happened....

Last edited by icallfouls; Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:30pm.