View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Now, for further thought, lets say it was sitch 4 above and my VARSITY game. Are you guys still turned off if I pull out my rule book?
Yep. I think the problem with that is everyone can see what you're doing, and all it does is show up the official. In fact, it pretty easily falls under the penalty for 10-4-1(b), and, depending on the crowd reaction, 10-4-1(f). (Since you apparently have one those rule book-thingies, you know what I'm referencing. )

I know, for the most part, you just want to make things right, but bringing out the rule book during the game will not work. If you want to discuss a rule after the game, at the local watering hole, in a friendly manner, I have no problem with that. I don't like it if I screw up a rule, and I venture to say almost all us would feel the same. But we will not have that type of discussion during the game.

Along those same lines, have you ever gone up to a ref after a game and apologized for using the wrong strategy at the end of a game, and it caused an overtime? How would you feel if an official came up to you during the game with a Dean Smith or Bob Knight book to point out what you're doing is wrong? Same therory - good discussion well before or after a game, just not during.

(Used with permission.)