View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Suppose I am 5'6" and 275lbs, will the camp make me a better official?
While it may make the person a "better" official, it will not address thier most limiting issue...their ability to keep up with just about any game....even MS. Their time/money might be better spend on fitness training.

Quote:
Suppose I am 55 years old and in my 4th year of being an official will the camp make me a better official than someone else in the 4th year who is 28?
It will make both better...but in general, younger people learn new things easier than an older person....but YMMV.

Quote:
Suppose I have dyslexia will a camp make me a better official?
Quite likely. A person with dyslexia might have difficulty reading and learning from a book or magazine so on the court training might be the most benefical place to learn.
Quote:
Or are the camps there just to make money?????????
Some of them are.
Quote:
If you have the desire to be a better official, you will be a better official. I have a friend who went to 4 camps one summer, he didn't get any better assignments than I did for high school basketball. But he did have a ton of advice for everyone who didn't go to the camp.

All I can say, is whatever.
Just going to 4 camps doesn't necessarily mean a person will learn anything. It may not have addressed the #1 issue your assignor considers necessary for your friend to move up.