View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Suppose I am 5'6" and 275lbs, will the camp make me a better official?
It all depends on what you're willing to put into the camp and how willing you are to learn.

Quote:
Suppose I am 55 years old and in my 4th year of being an official will the camp make me a better official than someone else in the 4th year who is 28?
It all depends on what you're willing to put into the camp and how willing you are to learn versus how much he is willing to put into the camp and how willing he is to lean. But in my experience age and years of experience are not very good predictors of comparative performance.

Quote:
Suppose I have dyslexia will a camp make me a better official?
What does dyslexia have to do with it? But again, assuming you can get some help properly reading the times and court numbers on your camp schedule...It all depends on what you're willing to put into the camp and how willing you are to learn.

Quote:
Or are the camps there just to make money?????????
Of course the person who runs the camp is looking to make money. Why do people get their panties in a wad over this? It works to the camper's advantage. Like any other business, if they want your repeat custom, they have to provide a service worth the price they're asking.

The real question is: Is camp worth the money you'll pay.

The real answer is: It all depends on what you're willing to put into the camp and how willing you are to learn.

Quote:
If you have the desire to be a better official, you will be a better official.
That is the absolute one indispensable requirement for getting better. But how much better will an official get during one season? That depends a lot on what kind of knowledgeable feedback he or she gets. Otherwise, it comes down to how many screw ups can I make in one season and learn from while not getting busted?

In my experience, I usually get more, more interested, and better feedback in a 2-3 day camp than I will get from all my partners and the handful of evaluators that I *MIGHT* see during the whole season.

Quote:
I have a friend who went to 4 camps one summer, he didn't get any better assignments than I did for high school basketball. But he did have a ton of advice for everyone who didn't go to the camp.

All I can say, is whatever.
All Indians walk single file. At least the one I saw did.

How about this for anecdotal evidence? I've been to a dozen camps in the six summers I've been camping now. I have been a much more skilled official at the end of every one of those camps than I was when I began it. It didn't even matter who was making money off it, or how much. And every year my schedule has improved.

And I'm the least likely guy you'd ever meet to be able to say that. Being a 5' 6" 275 pound 55 year old 4th year guy with dyslexia, that would be an improvement.

It all depends on what you're willing to put into the camp and how willing you are to learn.