View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 09:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Correctable Errors, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For those who have the 2008-09 Case Book, do you think that the NFHS messed up the ruling on this one or that they are considering the ball to have remained dead since it should have and thus no team control ever occurred? A1 is fouled and entitled to 2 FTs. Officials state and administer 1 and 1. The first attempt is unsuccessful. B4 rebounds and passes to B2 near midcourt. The error is recognized at this time during the live ball. NFHS ruling: Stop play and correct the error by allowing A1 his 2nd FT attempt WITH PLAYERS ON THE LANE and play resumes from the FT. Rationale: The rebound and passing by Team B constitutes no change in team possession."
Is this a correctable error? Yes. Failure to award a merited free throw, the second free throw of a two shot foul. 2-10-1: Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in: a. Failure to award a merited free throw.

Was it recognized in the correctable error time frame? Yes. 2-10-2: In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

After the error was corrected, was the ball put back into play properly? I'm not sure. 2-10-6: If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

In this play, a change of team possession may have occurred. If the error occurred when the official stated one-and-one, then Team A had team possession, when the ball was at the disposal of A1, during the first (missed) free throw. There was no team possession after the ball was released on the first free throw. Team B obtained team possession when B4 rebounded the ball, and maintained team possession when B2 had possession of the ball, at which time the error was discovered. A change team possession from Team A to Team B. In this case put the ball back in play at the point of interruption, ball going to Team B for a throwin at midcourt.

However, one might say that actual error occurred after the first free throw attempt, when A1 did not get his, or her, second merited free throw, when B rebounded the ball, i.e. Team A never had team control after the error, so there never was a change in team possession, Team B had the ball for the entire time after the error occurred. In this case, put the ball back in play with the second free throw, with players on the lane line to rebound a miss, or continue playing with a throwin by Team B after a make.

Before reading this thread, I would have gone with the first case, change in team possession, put the ball back in play at the point of interruption, ball going to Team B for a throwin at midcourt. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure that that is the correct procedure. I can't wait to see some other Forum members give their opinions of this situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)