View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I really love the PTI show. I even love the commentary from Wilbon on the show. But at some point when are media people going to educate themselves about officiating matter.

Mike Pereira earlier today on "Outside the Lines" had an interview with Bob Ley. In that interview, Pereira made it clear that officials are downgraded for calls and situations where they make mistakes. And he said that this call could cost Ed Hoculli or any official a possible Super Bowl, playoff opportunity or their job if

Wilbon then goes on a rant about how the NFL is scapegoating Hoculli for this call. Instead it is clear that Wilbon does not realize that this is not a unique situation and this one call would never fire an official all by itself. And now the public thinks that the NFL just downgrades officials when they are really mad. Instead, part of the interview Pereira made it clear that every official is judged on every play. It just never ceases to amaze me how uneducated people that claim to have all the inside information, that they cannot talk to someone and get their facts straight. I am not a media member, and I know better than many of these guys. It only makes me wonder how much in their profession they know little about, but they write on these topics daily.

Peace
You are 100% correct, Jeff.

It's amazing to me that some in the media are either reacting as Wilbon (apparently) did or as if they've just today come to this realization that there are repercussions for NFL Officials who make mistakes.

Of course there are repercussions. There are always repercussions, and always have been. This is not new. Did Phil Luckett get downgraded? You bet? So do most officials in most games unless they call the Perfect Game. They're just not all as obvious as this one. No one calls to ask Pereira if the side judge from a Kansas City/Tennessee game got downgraded for missing a call.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.