View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:39pm
Ch1town

It's been a few days since the OP & this "coach/official" still doesnt get it... unbelievable!

Let's just say the official in question saw the infraction & decided to "get you" on a 15 instead of a
Well, that would be wrong but inexperience is what all participants & spectators should expect at that level.
Just like we expect coaches (who allow their team to come out of a TO with 12 playeys on the field) to be inexperienced.
Do you think the most qualified officials are lining up for those assignments or working NCAA games on Saturday?!?!
I know I see my share of horrible play calling at that level, but I don't comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20
He made a mistake. I didn’t yell at him.

Maybe it was how you said it as opposed to the volume of what you said. Maybe that was not the first time you had a negative interaction with him during the game...

I brought up the correct rule.

Really?

Instead of apologizing or giving the only possible (but actually impossible due to his actions) justification of not having the count in time, he went ballistic.
Who wouldn't get pissed by a coach quoting incorrect rules to them. Justify to YOU why I didn't count before the snap?? Please. You should be glad that I didn't work your game. I'd have run your a$$ for citing rules like the following to me.

Quote:
Ok, now I notice this and say “that’s not a fifteen yard penalty.” The official says “it’s illegal participation that’s a fifteen yard penalty.” I now realize he’s calling the wrong penalty and say “that’s when someone comes off the bench after the snap.

"WRONG, he was already on the field prior to the snap... you coach & I'll officiate".

This is a dead ball, five yard substitution penalty!” He says “it wasn’t dead ball.” I’m now picking up on this guy being an idiot.

He's thinking the exact same thing about you.

“If you don’t blow dead a dead ball penalty it’s still a dead ball penalty.”

Official should realize at this point that any more discussion with you is pointless because it was a LIVE BALL PENALTY!
Quote:
I didn’t do anything out of line by simply stating rules (correctly)
Sorta like this one

Quote:
The team couldn’t have committed the participation if the ref did his job, but he didn’t so it’s a 10 yard live ball substitution or something.
It should've read:
Quote:
The team couldn’t have committed the participation if the coach did his job, but he didn’t so it’s a 15 yard live ball penalty.
Questionable or missed calls aren't fatal, too much focus on officiating is. At the youth level misapplication of rules &/or lack of knowledge by the officials should be used to teach kids how to handle adversity & also that life isn't fair... deal with it! Suck on lemons or turn them into lemonade.
Embrace those opportunities to educate our youth, teach them life-lessons through sports.
Respect our fraternity!