View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
but wanted to see if I could watch the foot) ... gave up after the 2nd pitch. Just couldn't watch the foot and track the ball.
We know that as most umpire do, but it isn't the umpire making the rules. I have little doubt that some violations may be so obvious, an umpire will possibly pick it up, but when and at what sacrifice? Will it be like a runner leaving the base early that draws the umpire's attention? If so, that may cause a problem seeing the pitch. Will the umpire see the foot after the ball reaches the catcher? Will there be some umpires who will now look up after the pitch and see the foot outside the lines? But will the umpire know if the foot got there before or after the release of the pitch? You know damn well that the coach is going to see it AFTER the pitch and will complain about it without actually seeing the pitcher complete her delivery.

Many, not all, of the folks who are involved with the rules have never spent a serious moment behind a catcher who believe the lines would solve the problem. They figure if they can see it from the press box, the guy/gal behind the plate shouldn't have a problem. Well, if that's the case, I think all the PUs should have a seat in the nice, cool press box. For that matter, maybe the entire crew should be up these since they obviously have a much better view.