View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Crossing the Line

Just curious – what is everyone’s definition of “crossing the line”. Free kick, the runner is tackled. The runner stands with the tackler still holding his leg. The runner throws a short punch (open hand) to the helmet of the tackler lying on the ground. My U flags the runner for the punch and ejects him. It occurs in the side zone about the 30 yard line directly in front of the bench. That’s what preceded the conference with the coach.

Coach calls TO and meets me about the numbers obviously upset. Before I can say anything, the coach says “THAT’S BULL CRAP!!” I said, “Coach, please calm down and don’t say anything that’s going to make matters worse” and walked closer to the sideline. I told him I saw the punch also and it was certainly an ejectable foul. That was pretty much the extent of the conference. As I walked away he yelled again “THAT’S BULL CRAP AND YOU KNOW IT!!”

How many of you would flag this for UC? Never, Always, Maybe?

The rest of the story: IMHO, the foul was marginal at best, but I backed my U’s call (you can pick that one apart if you like also). By the purest definition, it was a punch. But it was little more than a push, partially initiated by the tackler holding on to the runner’s leg. It also looked worse than it really was because the tackler’s helmet came off with the punch/push. Had I been there first – I doubt I flag it. Certainly some stiff talk to both, but not a flag. We had no problems to that point in the game – it went down hill a bit from there.

Feel free to make any comment - but I am most interested in your reaction to the coaches comment - UC?

Last edited by dumbref; Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 02:03pm.