View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Following the Rules

This happened in a game last night using NFHS rules. A pitch was inside to the opposing batter. He did not budge and it hit him in the arm. He was awarded first base. I called time and this is how the conversation went:

Me: Does he not have to try to avoid being hit?

PU: No. As long as he doesn't lean into it.

Me: Doesn't the rule say that he is not awarded first base if he makes no effort to avoid being hit by the pitch?

PU: That is not how "John" told us to call it.

Me: Well, I don't think that is right. The rulebook says different.

PU: That is the way I am calling it.

At this point I returned to my dugout and made the mistake of not protesting. I got out my rule book and eventually turned to rule 7-3-4.

After the inning ended, I approached both umpires as they were standing together at home plate. This is how this conversation went:

Me: Can I show you what I have found?

PU: Sure.

Me: It says right here the batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him. The penalty is the batter remains at bat (pitch is a ball or strike) unless the pitch was a third strike.

PU: I see what you are saying but "John" told us to call it this way.

Me: Even though it specifically says differently in the book?

BU (interjecting): "John" is our rules interpreter.

Me: So he interprets that rule to say something completely different than what I just read?

BU: Well, he must not know about that rule.

Me: Well, how are we going to call it now that we know what the rule is?

PU: We are going to stay with the way that I called it.

Me: So you are telling me that you know the rule, but you are not going to follow it?

PU: That is the fair thing to do.

At this point, I walked away knowing that I was not going to get anywhere with these two guys.

I know some of you will see me a "just another rat whining about umpires", but this really did happen and I would like input on how to deal with situations like this where you show an umpire the rule and he still refuses to follow it.

Last edited by harmbu; Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 09:19am.