View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gold_Spark

R1 with no outs and a 3-0 count on B2. The next pitch is a ball. The coach of the defensive team immediately requests time as he is walking out onto the field.

You guys see where I'm coming from? The runner on first has yet to advance to second base and the coach is already making his way onto the field. My confusion is . . . it's done all the time. But shouldn't the coach have to wait until the runners at least ADVANCE and then fail to continue on?

I saw it in the Yankees/Angels game today and I figured ("Yea, the runner is NEVER gonna attempt to get to third in that situation"), but then again . . . what if he did?

I haven't even approached the rule book. I'm just looking for what some of you more experienced guys think of this situation.

I appreciate it.

For get about the PROS, that's a different ballgame altogether and at the PRO level you don't have trick plays that you see in amateur sports like B1 continuing to walk towards second with R3.

Therefore, as others mentioned, you need to take into account the age of the players plus the TEAMS involved.

I would say in most instances DO NOT GRANT AN AUTOMATIC Time Out on a 60 ft. diamond. More often than not, especially with R3 on a 60ft. diamond, B1 will continue onwards.

On a 90ft. diamond as Bob mentioned at the HS varsity level, when player is about 1/2 way you could grant time out.

However, even on a 90ft. diamond some managers will instruct B1 to continue to advance it all depends upon the Teams involved.

Therefore, to sum-up

60 Ft. Diamond for the most part do not Give Automatic Time Out until player reaches first base and it is EVIDENT that they are NOT going to advance.

90 ft. diamond - It's a game by game process. You need to know the Teams involved. Generally at the HS VS level you don't have to worry about it.

Pete Booth