View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I'll chime in with a few comments here.....

Retro - Think back (a long time, I am guessing) to when you started officiating VB....If you are anything like the rest of us, it probably was overwhelming with all of the stuff you have to mentally keep track of. Hell, it took me a good three years before I was comfortable calling illegal contacts consistently. Like MCBear, it was another two years or so before the light bulb came on and I was recognizing back row players and being aware of the BRAs and BRBs. Scrappy doesn't have the attitude of he's just not going to call it because he doesn't like the rule, he's just not comfortable with that aspect of the game yet, like many new VB officials. He'll get there, with help and encouragement from people that have gone before him. Think about this - if he was a crappy official who didn't care, he probably wouldn't even be here on the board to begin with.

Scrappy - Hang in there. Keep working. It will become instinct for you at some point. Like you, I was a longtime basketball official that took up VB. Like I said above, it probably took me a good five seasons to get comfortable as a VB official. I'm still trying to improve, but I feel confident in my abilities. There has been some good advice in this thread - try some of it out, keep what works and toss the rest. It will get better.