View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 08:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Porch Dog
FYI... The coach for the Harlem team berated his players immediately after they entered the dugout. You could hear him tell them that the umpire told him there would be ejections if the scene was repeated. If you noticed a few minutes later another Harlem player homered and the players conducted themselves considerably more sportsmanlike.
And now you know the rest of the story. Porch Dog

Regarding the actions of the Harlem player and his disgraceful homerun trot. The Harlem coach had no choice but to chew his player's tuckus because the reaming he got on ESPN's Between the Lines this past Sunday morning. The simple fact is the player should have been tossed no what level of amateur competition. The Harlem player's homerun trot was disgraceful and the fact that it happened can mean only one thing: it was not the first time he had done it and it had been condoned by his coach and the player's parents.

As the father of two sons (ages: 9 and 12) who participate in basketball, baseball, and swimming, I can assure you that if one of my sons had pulled that stunt he would not have made it to the dugout after touching homeplate, because I would have been out of the stands dragging him behind the woodshed for a good you know what.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio