View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious as to others opinions on this. In a couple of threads I have seen references to the umpires' performance in the LLWS, but I have not yet seen anyone talk about the latitude that the umpires are giving the players in terms of their conduct.

The LL rulebook gives umpires the explicit right to eject players for unsportsmanlike conduct. So far I have seen players do everything from victory dances to shot calling to outright taunting of opposing pitchers and as yet the unmpires have done nothing.

This baffles me. If the kids in our league behaved like that, I would toss them immediately and without discussion. They of course know this and therefore don't do it, but there does not seem to be any such constraints on the players in the series.

So several questions. Am I just an old fuddy duddy who is out of touch and overreacting? If not, then who should be held accountable for this? To me this is part of the umpires' area to police to maintain game control, but these umpires don't seem to feel so.