View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Wing men from an umpire's viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Tom, have you always worked this wide or did you start doing it after you started working college? When are you NEAR the sideline as opposed to on it? [/B]
When I first started, I followed the manual and did just what I saw the other experienced officials were doing. Even back then I felt uncomfortable being in so close, but I had the speed to get out of harms way without having to turn my back and run like a spooked rabit as I see happening today. I don't have that speed any more.
As the team game plans changed to much more sprint-out passing, option plays and sideline passes, I started moving further away and I liked it much better. After working under CCA mechanics and doing a few college games I liked being as wide as possible even more. Those players run wide and head to the pylon... and they do it FAST. Just when you think they are heading up field, they bounce off a missed tackle and head to the sideline. Really, you don't miss or compromise any calls or forward progress spots by being wide. I really believe the wider angle makes it easier.

Now, what I meant by near the sidelines is this for NF game (not any ncaa games). I'll split the yardarge between the 9 yard marks or top of the numbers when the team is snapping from the far inbounds line. That would put me about 4 yards in. If there is a receiver split wide to my side, I'll move back to the sideline. I still have plenty of time to get to the sideline and down the field to the pylon area if the play is coming my way. If the play stays on the opposite side, I move cautiously downfield and further on to the field unless there are a few players near me. I'll not let them get behind me as that's when potential trouble may occur. Even in ncaa games, I'll move in to the 9 yard marks as the plays move away from me. But that's it until the play is dead. Too many times, that play can suddenly turn back your way and you're screwed. You'll never get to the sideline nor down the field. With a 5-man crew the sideline is naked if a wing moves in too far. As luck as it, all my games this year are either 6 or 7 man. The key areas, the sideline and goal line will be properly covered as someone will be there.

Sorry for rambling on, but I really think as wide as possible is the right way to go in todays NF Varsity games.