View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: A few questions...

I'd like to answer here if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Let's say the ball is on the opposite hash and there's no wideout on your side. The closest player could be almost 30 yards away. Do you close in any at all?
### Not at all. Too many officials think that they have to come in close, especially down around the 10 and in. They get eaten alive on an option or reverse to their side or a down-n-out pass pattern to the corner. Wider is better. You see more, you are in the good position to make calls or no calls and forward progress. NF mechanics with regards to initial positioning of the wing officials are obsolete with how todays high school game is played.

Quote:
Doesn't being further away from the players make it more difficult to preventive officiate?
### Not really, many times the problem children are no where near where the ball is finally declared dead. You can see this potential problem develope much easier when positioned wide.

Quote:
Do you have any problems with keeping the teams back, so you have room to work?
### Teams are not usually the problem, it's those coaches. We have to many gutless officials that allow far too many non-player types in the so called coaching area. NF should give us a two yard belt as is done at the higher levels. A coach does not need to be in there.

So where I do position myself during NF games? On or near the sidelines for all plays.