Thread: 7 man
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see an actual game using it, but I heard one or more of the games here in Texas that were interstate games used 7 officials. TASO (Texas state ref org) now has a 7 man manual and has approved the use of 7 man. I suspect it will be used in early season games like this for several years but won't be a part of varsity play for a while now. I know of some coaches who already want us go to 7 man, but I'm not sure their superintendents are ready to pay for it. I also don't think its going to appear for playoff games without first being used consistently in the regular season.

It also creates other problems. Since we work (primarily) in crews for large school games, we'd either have to go to 7 man crews (in whole or in part) or have crews pick up 2 extra guys either out of the "pool" or from other 5 man crews on games they work with 7. My solution would be to have guys that are "floaters." Technically, they'd be in the pool, but if we had enough games for them, they'd move around to different crews and the individual crews would decide where to put them.