Thread: Jericho Scott
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

This is the reason that in a perfect world members of the board of directors for a league should not have a kid playing in the league at all, nor should they coach a team in that league. Now I said in a perfect world, I know that wont happen in real life, only so so many people that will dedicate time to these types of things. So they end up wearing multiple hats.

Well after being involved with a rec league for 8 years as UIC I have been a voting member of the board for these years. I can say that this type of manipulating occurs often. Things go on and are spun in ways to get things passed that have an advantage to a certain team. Maybe that is why I got a different feeling from the story than some of you did, having this past knowledge of being on this board and having seen some people work. But with the facts that are in the story, I can’t see it any other way.

1) Team A, defending league champs, wanted a player to play for them, that player decided to play for team B
2) Team B is undefeated in the season, putting Team A in second place
3) After 8 games with no issues from the pitcher, no injured players from his pitching, not even a hit batsman, coach of Team A starts proceedings to get Team B’s pitcher removed from pitching giving Team A the chance to take the lead in the league.

Again maybe I am bias due to my experiences, but I just can’t see it any other way. I am not a lawyer so I don’t know what law, or by-law you want to use to justify this but IMO this is nothing more than a coach wanting to pound his chest and make sure his kid gets the trophy that is an inch taller than the other teams. A trophy that will collect dust until it gets boxed up and stored eventually thrown away…..but maybe not this one….it might stay forever displayed as the one that Daddy won us by getting that Scott kid banned from pitching.