View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Sit 1: Yes, any time you have a penalty by either team during the last timed down and the penalty is accepted you extend by one Untimed down.
Sit 2: What I was taught when trying to determine clock status after a foul was to remove the foul from the situation and use the resulting clock status

for example;
Clock is running, Previous Down ends, Ready for play, False Start, Ready for play, Snap
Becomes... Previous Down ends, Ready for play, Snap.....Clock would have never stopped therefore after the penalty enforcement you wind the clock on the RFP

another example
Clock is running, Previous Down ends with ball out of bounds (clock stops), Ready for play, False Start, Ready for play, Snap
Becomes... Previous Down ends (clock stops), Ready for play, Snap..... after enforcement you have the clock starting on the Snap

The only exception to that rule is if you have a Delay of Game Penalty which will start the clock on the snap regardless of the previous status.

So to answer Sit 2
The clock will start on the RFP and no, I will not give them an untimed down because the False start is a Dead ball foul and (I'm assuming) the last timed down did not have a foul.