View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
According to what I've read, the scoreboard had the correct count (3-2) at the time the plate umpire signaled 2-2 to both dugouts.
It did. Layne spent a bit of time trying to get the scoreboard changed to 2-2, though. I thought the funniest part was it appeared Layne asked the catcher to verify it was 2-2.

I thought it was odd that U1 called the ball fair. It was clearly a few feet in front of the base and the announcers were actually right on this one -- U1 had to make this call through F3 and his glove. They are the ones who claimed Layne wasn't up on the line - I have no way of knowing whether it was true or not.

I think the real mental lapse by Layne came in the 11th, though, when he called R3 out on the "force" at the plate when the force was removed by F5 tagging third. No doubt R3 saw Layne call him out and that's why he stopped. Otherwise, he may have been able to get in a rundown long enough for R2 or R1+R2 to advance behind him. Instead, F2 walked up casually and applied the tag.

Good guys (Phillies) won in the end, on a 3-run walkoff HR in the bottom of the 11th.