View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 03:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Contact on the hand is never a foul since the hand is part of the ball if in contact with the ball.
Say what?
You were just waiting for that,weren't you
The language in both the Fed and NCAA rulesets are fairly similar.They state that it is legal use of the hands if the defender ACCIDENTALLY hits the hand of an opponent who is shooting(or dribbling,holding,etc.),if that opponent's hand is in contact with the ball.Therefore,if the official feels that the contact was deliberate,and not accidental,the official CAN call a foul on the defender in this instance.The rules reference is R4-24-2 in FED,and somewhere in R4 in NCAA(ain't gonna look it up,but I know that they use the term "accidental" also).As J. Dallas Shirley said.."never say never!".
I believe that is what BktBallRef was getting at.The only reason that I questioned Tony's original reply was that it inferred to me that he ALWAYS called a foul in the case where a player tried to block a shot and got the shooter's hand while it was still on the ball.I found that hard to believe.If he can read a defender's intent that clearly that he's able to know,without doubt,that is was a deliberate act and not accidental,he's a better man than I am,Gunga Din!If there's any doubt in my mind(and there usually is),I'll call it "accidental",and pass on the foul.
Good point by Tony,though.The accepted practise is to not call a foul in this situation,but you actually can call the foul,if you are so inclined.Official's judgement.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 16th, 2002 at 03:35 AM]