View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 09:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Not enforcing rules just confuses them and causes problems for the league, especially for the next official that has their game and has the same situation come up.
I absolutely agree with this, but sometimes struggle.

Along with my JV/MS circuit I ref in two Youth Rec Leagues. In one league I am the only state certified official and in the other I am one of only a few.

As I am one of the only ones who knows most of the rules (I'm not as good as some of you guys yet) and tries to enforce them, I sometimes confuse the coaches and players by enforcing the proper rules while others don't - i.e., earrings, necklaces, hair clips, shirts tucked, time outs, travel, back court, intentional foul, etc. and not enforcing the myths i.e. - reach, moving screen, over the back, etc. (you know, the good ones) while other less experienced refs continue to perpetuate the myths.

While I am sometimes "the bad guy", I believe most of the coaches/players appreciate me explaining the proper rules to them when there is an issue (thanks Forum members).