View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You have a good memory. Yes, I posted the story of how I once "officiated" a croquet match. It was a charity fundraising event and there was a match between a local Lions Club and a retirement center. They both recruited local "celebrities" to also play on their teams and they asked me to "officiate" and also narrate the match with a bullhorn (not that I really need one) during play.

The funniest part was that my then-State Representative, who was the most unathletic guy I've ever met, actually lost to some lady from the retirement center who had to use a walker! I've never let him forget that but I might reconsider teasing him about it since he is now in charge of our state prison system!
I don't even do basketball but I wander over here on occasion to sample Mark's wit. You guys are definitely the most entertaining board on this site!

The weirdest thing I've officiated is a bed race. Being from a small town in Indiana that has only one other official (and he's a basketball guy so of course nobody likes him) when they decided last year to reinstate the bed race in to our town festival I was asked to "officiate" this monumental event. Nothing noteworthy happened and there was only one race that was close at the finish line so if I had been paid anything it would have been easy money.

What I would like to get my foot in the door for is a job officiating American Gladiators. I don't have one of those striped shirts but I've been practicing my "Contenders ready?!! Gladiators ready?!!"