Thread: Punt Question
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Ok, what this play is designed for is to run a QB sneak on say a 4th and 1. Our team lines up in a spread punt formation (much like you see WVU and other colleges run) with everyone on the line having a number under 50, except the center. We have 3 blocking backs 6 yds deep, two have numbers under 50 and one is number 83.

Once we are lined up, we call "shift" and the right guard (#15) drops off the line and goes under center and the 3 blocking backs shift up onto the line of scrimmage. Once everyone is set for a full second, we snap the ball and run a QB sneak with everyone wedge blocking.

I hope that clears up the picture.
You asked for NCAA rules so I assume you are in NCAA school or in HS in Tex or Mass. If so, this will be illegal assuming the snapper is on the ball when everyone is first lined up on the line. If the snapper is just standing up by the ball but not on it, then the play could be done legally. Once the snapper is on the ball, #15 is "locked in" and , although he can move to a new position, it must be on the line and between the 2 ends, i.e. still in an ineligible position, even though has eligible number.