Thread: NFL Stripes
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
JR, you know I love ya, so don't get defensive. I have no doubt that many different people say many different things. I was just saying that I thought I remembered Pereira (which makes it "official" - moreso than a current NFL official saying it at an association meeting) downplaying that aspect of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he never did downplay it or never did address it.
I really do not even know what you are disagreeing with. And personally I do not see this as a major issue. I just know what was told to someone and what they repeated. It does not mean much to me why or how this uniform came about. I am sure the NFL took many different positions on this because they did get some crap about these uniforms and especially from the officiating community.

Quote:
But it wouldn't be surprising if that was part of the reasoning. It also wouldn't be surprising if the NFL wanted to "officially" give the impression that it was above such mundane considerations, and that the timing of the redesign, right after a major beer company's season-long campaign featuring guys in traditional stripes, was a complete coincidence.
Once again, I was just repeating what was told to a room full of people. That does not mean that was the actual reason or that there was not more behind the story. I can tell you I feel the NFL does not care what we think though. And even if the officials do not like it, I do not know anyone retiring as a result.

Quote:
BTW, say hey to everybody in FVFO for me. Miss 'em. It's hot here.
We have a meeting tonight. I will do my best to get that message out. Hope things are going well where you are at.

Peace