Thread: NFL Stripes
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That was the explanation that I gave you, came directly from a current NFL Official when he spoke to an association I belong to (I am also a member of the association that he belongs to as well). I am sure the NFL told the staff the reasoning for why the uniform change. I have no idea if that was the only reason, just the one I heard.
JR, you know I love ya, so don't get defensive. I have no doubt that many different people say many different things. I was just saying that I thought I remembered Pereira (which makes it "official" - moreso than a current NFL official saying it at an association meeting) downplaying that aspect of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he never did downplay it or never did address it.

But it wouldn't be surprising if that was part of the reasoning. It also wouldn't be surprising if the NFL wanted to "officially" give the impression that it was above such mundane considerations, and that the timing of the redesign, right after a major beer company's season-long campaign featuring guys in traditional stripes, was a complete coincidence.

BTW, say hey to everybody in FVFO for me. Miss 'em. It's hot here.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.