View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

~I'm working on this~

Tuss:

From your illustration:

I am located much more towards a direct line to home plate than you when there is a runner on 1st base only.

I would say 6' feet closer to the plate.

When the first play starts to occur I pause, read and react and make sure I move to a location that gives me the best angle possible for the play at first base.

This "most likely" moves be even more towards the plate (by fractions possibly).

As soon as the play is complete at first I then "open the gate" and get approximately to an area near the start of your line that lines up the play at third.

Of course that position is a "moving target" as I am again reading the throw for angle. IF I take my four steps then I am clearly on the third base side of the mound and no more than 60' from the call (sometimes closer) and I take the call HOK and then as I signal I move closer towards the play.

Contrary to that:

If the PU hold HIS position until the play is completd at first base and THEN releases there is no way he can be closer to third than I am.

This is the EXACT reason the PBUC had (originally) wanted the BU to make the call. PUs were leaving the play at first base to quickly and were not available for the pulled foot/sweep tag assistance at first base. Also remember that the PU has DBT over throw responsibility and needs to recognize that BEFORE he releases to third.

I am open to learning change but you (and the PBUC) has not come close to convincing me to change this mechanic.

This entire discussions in moot if there is R2 only so being in "C" it is even more obvious that the BU should take both potential calls.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Sat Aug 09, 2008 at 09:18am.