View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In most cases the BU will be in "B" after adjusting to the play at first base. He then simply "opens the gate" as we do on a steal of second and allow the ball to take us to the play at third.

In most cases this means I gain two, three or even four steps towards third base over the back of the mound.

At the VERY MOST an old guy like me is within 60' of third base easily (and if I started in "C" I am even closer) and if you believe in "angle over distance" the call at third is easy and if you are smart enough to continue to move towards third base when things are all over you'll never be more than 45' from the call.
This is the only problem I have with your post Tim (not that you care )

You get to a position around B to make your call at first, more than 90 feet away from 3rd. As the play takes you to third, you take as many as four steps, and are now 60 feet away? More than 30 feet in 4 steps, and 3 seconds?

And now, you want the umpire to "continue to move towards third" and you won't be more than 45 feet from the call? So, make up your mind, out or safe, 60 feet away, on the dead run (not a good idea) and keep running to 45 feet after the play is over, and now make your call?

I'm not sure I follow your stealth movements... although I understand your point about this being BUs call to begin with.

Not trying to be a problem, just asking for clarification.