View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I have been watching on and off the last few games. The officials are a mixture of FIBA officials and others; David Jones (NBA ref) is one of the officials today.

I have noticed the ESPN announcers mention a rule change concerning clear path fouls (NBA terminology I know). FIBA's rule change doesn't come into effect until October although the officials might be conscious of the impending change and are calling those fouls more closely.

And finally Dwayne Wade has a Gold Medal tour lined up for after the Olympics. It's hard to believe the arrogance that still exists after the disasters of the last few international competitions.

Dave Jones is a FIBA official. You can't officate a game at this level with being a FIBA official. The governing bodies of most countries have multi-level registration with the highest level being a FIBA license. USA Basketball has a two level registration, the higher level be a FIBA license and the lower level being a USA Basketball Referee license. An official with a FIBA license is qualified to officiate any level of FIBA sanctioned game any where in the world. USA Basketball Referees are qualified to officate FIBA sanctioned games below major championships such as the college tours, when Canadian high school and colleges play the same level teams in the United States and special competitions such as the Special Olympics World Summer Games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio