View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
As stated in the OP, I asked the TD to sign the waiver as well as the girl's parent.

Your point is correct. Of course, none of the other girls complained nor did their parents or coach.

There is something at play with girl's basketball that this problem comes up repeatedly. TD's at many levels are not willing to stand up to the few players who want it all ways -- play; wear what they want; no responsibility for their actions. Overgeneralization? Yes. But it comes up often enough that there is more than a little truth to it.
Bay, I wasn't trying to pick on you or anything. Hopefully, you didn't take my comments as personal. They were not intended to be.

I was merely making the point that while whoever happened to be the official in this situation (in this case it was you) made the extra effort to insist upon and secure a waiver from the player wearing the illegal item, it struck me as odd that permission from other players who had to compete with this player wearing such an item was not also solicited and obtained. It seemed to me that the risk to which they were being exposed was mistakenly forgotten about.

So that's the only point that I was trying to make. In such a situation it is not just about the player wearing the item, but there must be a concern as well for the safety of the other participants. A major reason that the NFHS and NCAA have such rules in place.

I agree that you were put in a difficult situation by your partner, fellow officials, and the tournament director, but please remember that you always have the choice to decline the game/assignment. If you feel strongly enough that a tournament is not doing things the right way, then just don't work that event. Sure you lose out on a few bucks, but you open yourself up to a much bigger problem. Let someone else take that risk if they wish.