View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In the upcoming November issue of "High School Today" there is a legal column written by Lee Green (Baker University Professor of Law) that covers this issue.

There is no such thing as a waiver of liability concerning high school rules. In any sport, at any level, if NFHS Rules are used there can be no waiver. It is not legal to do so.

The attempt at a waiver places the official in the position of responsibility.

Do not accept this practice.

Regards,
Thank you. If you have an advance copy, please send me a PM. I definitely want this.

I will accept the lumps tossed at me for letting this go. I know that was correct when I told the girl she could not play...and I should have told the TD the same thing. No jewlery. No waivers.

The last time I told a girl she could not play with earrings, (younger girl; travel league; no TD to challenge me) she left the court in tears, but somehow returned a few minutes later without the earrings. I was quite surprised this varsity player (probably 16- or 17-years-old) didn't just remove the earrings. I have been told repeatedly that even new piercings do not close up in an hour or two.