View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Catchers Interference

Greetings,
I have been lurking on this forum for awhile, and found the knowledge and assistance rendered here invaluable on many occasions. I have a question about catchers interference. I have been around baseball for a long time, and we all know that catchers interference is a rare occurrence, usually caused by an inexperienced catcher or one that sets up poorly.

A player (the batter) in a men's league is getting catchers interference calls regularly, almost in each game he participates in and sometimes two times in a game. The umpires are now aware of this, and regularly check to see if he is in the batters box. The catchers in these games are in a normal position, and since this is not called on any previous or subsequent batters the interference calls are an anomaly. In watching this particular hitter, he appears not to stride forward and actually seems to go back when he swings. Whether he is intentionally attempting to hit the catchers glove is not easily ascertained.

My question:
Is there are a rule (or interpretation of a rule) that takes care of this issue, and if not how would you guys approach this problem?