View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How can you be sure that you're getting a call right if you pre-determine that call?
Actually, let me re-phrase that. There are a lot of calls that are pre-determined.
- If a defender contacts a shooter's arm, and that contact affects the shot, I'm pre-determining that's a foul, every time.
- If a defender puts a hand on a dribbler, and that contact affects the path of the dribbler, I'm pre-determining that's a foul, every time.
- If a player, while holding the ball, lifts their pivot foot before releasing the ball to start a dribble, I'm pre-determining that's a violation, every time.

However,
- If B1 establishes LGP, and A1 contacts B1 and knocks them to the ground during a drive down the lane, my partner is calling a player/team control on A1. Then on the next possession, B1 drives down the lane while A1 trys to get in the path, but doesn't succeed; B1 knocks down A1, so now I've got a blocking foul on A1. Even though they were "similar" plays, they were not the same play, so they won't get the same call.

Don't get hung up on pre-determining calls. Maybe the proper terminolgy should be making sure the crew is using the same judgement in making calls. If all the officials use the same judgement, the crew will be consistent.

(Used with permission.)