View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Easy fellas - he's speaking from his heart and sharing his experience with us from camp. I don't sense any cockiness from his OP. He's simply frustrated with not being "LIKE-MINDED" with his crews and excited about the positive feedback from the clinicians. He's venting why his calls and views of the game are different than the veteran officials.

CEW: without seeing the actual play, based on your description, none of us here can help explain why the calls were made and why the game is called inconsistently. Bare with it and don't question on whether the calls that the veteran officials made were right or wrong. Sometimes we need to make "management calls." These are usually calls veteran officials make to restore the game and keep the games flowing. I say veteran officials usually make them because they're not afraid to call them.

My advise is to ask a lot of questions and listen to them. Whatever their responds or comments may be, be humble and thankful. You don't always have to agree with them, but never do the "BUT YEAH" because if you already pre-determine the outcome then what's the point in asking.

Here's one point I want to bring out: I find that younger officials (age-wise) are more incline to not call fouls and let a lot more go. Younger officials are also more tolerant to unacceptable behaviors and non-basketball plays. Perhaps it just that the game has changed over the past decades. Any thoughts on this?