View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
I agree with BktBallRef's process when a player goes down.

However, I believe that BillyMac's procedure that read, "Also, regarding "team control ends", that means as soon as the shot is attempted, the official blows the whistle, while the shot is in the air. If the attempt misses, we go to the arrow, if the attempt is successful, the other team gets the ball, and is allowed to run the endline" is incorrect.

Think about this situation: A1 goes down with a possible injury and Team B quickly transitions to a two on none break. B1 misses the lay up and B2 follows up and scores. I would never blow that play dead after B1's miss and go to the arrow. It wouldn't be fair.
You might not think that it's fair but it IS the rule.

NFHS rule 5-8-2NOTE: When a player is injured in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

Billy's advice was to follow the existing rules, as cited above. Your advice is to make up your own rules. Methinks the wise thing to do is to go with Billy.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jul 27, 2008 at 07:58pm.