View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Rule of thumb, there are no restrictions on the person serving, only. Therefore, you are right, the RB of the receiving team can be out of alignment. And, you do see this a lot, when the CB moves up toward the net, the RB slides over to fill in, and BAM! overlap.

I would say this question is true.

Break it down. Where can a RF/RB overlap occur? If the RF is closer to the endline than the RB or if the RB is closer to the center line than the RF. In this case, it sounds like the RB is too far forward.

[SoapBox Moment] If you have aspirations to move up to NCAA or USAVB this call gets de-emphasized quite a bit. The fed wants you to call it if the girls are a centimeter overlaped, where in all of the other rule sets it better be glaring, obvious, and with people grossly out of order or trying to gain an advantage to call. Basically, it is like a 3 second count in hoops, it is there, but you only pull it out sparingly. Frankly, I think the fed places too much importance on this. As new officials you should be working on becoming consistant with your handling calls, trusting your eyes and not your ears to identify touches (and watching the rotation of the ball!), anticipating what is going to happen, knowing when to over-rule a line judge or your 2R, and trusting your 1R when you get over ruled. There is this huge perception Voleyball is easy, because it is not a physical effort for officials, but I think it is 10 times harder than basketball. Then, fed makes it harder by throwing red herrings like overlap at new officials.

[End SoapBox Moment]

In a nutshell, know this, but don't obsess. Things like substitution, toss and catch, 4 hits vs. a block, non-playable areas, and time out rules are more important, happen more often than this, and are easily mis-applied by new officials.