View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 04:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan
What often separates the HS from the college refs is no more desire to work that level and the time to devote to travelling long distances to officiate a college game.
Often? Maybe. Just as often, it's talent, ability and hard work.

Quote:
Oh yeah and ego........
Oh yeah, because we've never met a high school official with a huge ego. I'm sorry to be overly sarcastic, but I am so tired of hearing this. As a college guy who gets an occasional D2 game, I work with many many MANY more down-to-earth, easygoing, easy-to-get-along-with guys than head cases. Are there college officials with overblown egos? Absolutely. Are there just as many high-school-only officials with equally overblown egos? I've met my share.

I'm not putting down high school officials, because roughly a third of my schedule each year is still high school games. I do tire, however, of hearing my high school brethren pontificate on the egos of my college brethren. I've never heard a college guy say that a high school guy is less of an official or less talented because he only works high school games. When I've heard critical comments about high school officials from college officials, the comments are about mechanics, judgment, appearance, etc. Never about level of games.