View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99
Sit: Team A ball. Entry pass thrown into post player in the lane. She fumbles it. Ball is on the floor. Its squirting around. Nobody gets control. "3 seconds" begins to be heard. Maybe the post player gets it while she is on her back in the lane. Tries to pass out. Ball is batted and again is squirting around. Now the chorus of "3 seconds" is EVERYWHERE.

Art. 1... A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.

My training was that 3 seconds should be ignored/avoided unless advantage is gained.

In this situation, the rule dictates that a violation be called. Team A has team control. Player A1 (and later say, A2 and A3) are in the lane area for more than 3 seconds. I fully understand what the rule says.

What I would ask for... is what the thought process is for others when this situation occurs?
Wouldn't it be nothing here? Since ball squirting around would mean loss of team control? Or does team control end when the other team "gains control"? Therefore, team control remains with fumbling team? Help!