View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Ok Snorman, I pose this question again. If the HR is not a dead ball, why is the runner or batter-runner not called out if they remove their helmet.
Because the rule specifically instructs the umpire to use discretion in enforcing this rule taking into consideration it's purpose even during a live ball. If a ball is in left field and a runner removes her helmet crossing the plate, I'm not ruling the batter out as there was never any danger.

Quote:
It is not an out. Nothing in the Rule Book supports an out call. If it happened today I would call nothing. If there is a protest I will win because I can show why it isn't an out. No other person can show why it is an out. If they can show me where in the book it constitutes an out I will jump on board. Just isn't there.
Being Devil's Advocate, if the ASA agrees with you, why did they not just make that statement instead of going through all the trouble they did below?

From ASA's web site, Rules Clarifications:

Assisting an injured runner

We have received more than several phone calls and emails about the play that has been on all the TV sports shows around the country. We have been asked two things, is this legal in ASA Softball and in ASA Softball could we have put a substitute in for this injured player that has hit a home run.

First: Our rules for assisting a runner, Rule 8 Section 7E states when any offensive team member other than another runner, physically assists a runner while the ball is live EFFECT The ball is live and the runner being assisted is out. We do not have any rule that would prohibit the defense from assisting a runner.