View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You do have the rule confused here. It would suck for me if me advocating a little common sense (something which lacks in a b/w rules forum, especially this one, for obvious reasons) confused you on the rule.

IF there was OBS on this play, it should be signaled, the fact the runner was safe at a (potentially awarded) base would not negate the correct signal being OBS.

A downside to seeing obs on this play is inserting yourself into this play unnecessarily and confusing the teams, fans, coaches.. and hell, even other umpires. Some umpires umpire just to insert themselves into the play, look for boogers to pitck, and read a rule then run out to enforce it.. forgetting a little common sense. This is very common among many umpires here. Bear that in mind as you read here then go onto the field. Mitigate their "teachings" with common sense, and you'll do great. I advocate prudence and common sense... but if I were to call OBS on this play, the arm would be out, because that is appropriate and correct.
Like I said?? Arm goes out until she is safe at awarded base, then it goes down, and ball is live. If she was to be tagged/forced out before reaching awarded base, you kill the play and "enforce" the OB.

We all agree with the OB and the delayed dead ball, I think the problem is with how you call her safe. If you say "obstruction the runner is safe" and she is NOT tagged/forced out, that is incorrect. Since you have to kill the play to "enforce" the OB. Once she makes the awarded base you kill the delayed dead ball and you have a live ball.

I am sure under the gun we all call it that way.