View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
And thanks for the clarification on the EP terminology. I'm not sure why our manager thinks putting an EP in the field is a sub, but just maybe I'll be able to educate him (if he's willing to listen).
It's actually a common mistake. I've had a lot of teams tell me they want to sub in an EP for a defensive player, and they think it's a substitution because two players are trading places on the bench. I don't think it's a misconception that will easily go away, as the EP has been around for years.

Quote:
Of course, if I wanted to call SP in my city, I'd be calling games involving people I know rather well -- such as the friends on this particular team whom I interact with on a regular basis outside of the team, or those I know who are on my church's city team in the men's division. I think that would be a touch too awkward
I'm glad you realize that personal contacts can be an issue when calling ball. I've seen umpires get a lot of unnecessary grief while calling the games of their former team. If you call long enough, you will inevitably get to know players, and some may even become friends. However, camaraderie can have negative effects, in particular when you have teams that are new and don't have a feel for the league yet. If they see an umpire socializing with players or coaches, they will automatically assume you're biased, and there's absolutely nothing you can do to shake that perception. Perception and integrity are all we have on the field, and they will make or break an umpire.

If you really want to call, perhaps there's a neighboring town that has leagues requiring umpires? Clean slates are actually much better than dealing with teams that know you from something outside of officiating.

Quote:
Also, to do what I do, I feel I need to be well-versed in the rules, so I try to have a decent grasp of them. That's why I've had quite a few questions this summer as I've shared my experiences. And if I haven't come out and said it before, I do appreciate all the feedback.
This is actually one of the best attitudes towards officiating an umpire can have. It's setting a goal of improvement, and recognizing that umpiring is a continual process of evaluating and reevaluating yourself as an umpire. It took me about 16 years to get where I am now, and I still have a lot of growing to do. We all do. Recognize that umpiring requires constant learning. It's a good attitude to have, and it will serve you well.

When you're welcome to officially join the ranks, let us know! We'll definitely be here.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.