View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NCASA (and others who answered the rule questions):

I thought the sub rule was consistent with what I know from NFHS FP. Uusually, we're lucky to have 10 of our 12 show up for a game, so having 11 or 12 is almost a foreign situation for us.

And thanks for the clarification on the EP terminology. I'm not sure why our manager thinks putting an EP in the field is a sub, but just maybe I'll be able to educate him (if he's willing to listen).

Lastly, thanks for the information on flat pitches and the IP penalty. I realize that it's umpire judgement and that the stands isn't the best place to judge height, but the pitches didn't even seem to come up to the pitcher's neck, and he was a bit of a smaller, squat guy. However, our team can hit flat pitchers a lot better than pitches with a lot of arc, so this may be to our benefit when we play that team next week.

Welpe:

If I didn't like the scoring and statistical aspects of the game as much as I do, just _maybe_ I'd consider it, especially since I once had a CYO player's grandparent tell me I should consider officiating after I had to fill in when no officials showed up for our 6th grade boys game. Of course, if I wanted to call SP in my city, I'd be calling games involving people I know rather well -- such as the friends on this particular team whom I interact with on a regular basis outside of the team, or those I know who are on my church's city team in the men's division. I think that would be a touch too awkward

Also, to do what I do, I feel I need to be well-versed in the rules, so I try to have a decent grasp of them. That's why I've had quite a few questions this summer as I've shared my experiences. And if I haven't come out and said it before, I do appreciate all the feedback.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 11:42pm.