View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
You know what. I changed my mind totally. There is no obstruction at all. Not even a delayed. The definition of obstruction says " A fielder, who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases unless..."

Since the runner made it to the base, progress could not had been impeded.

But in reality yes, there is obstruction, it still is a delayed dead ball. If you are fast enough to declare it before she touches home, OK, but the second she safely makes the awarded base, the delayed dead ball is removed. THE PLAY IS NOT DEAD.
No one has said it was.

Quote:
Lets say we have the same play at second base. Ball beats runner, legal slide knocks the ball lose. The fielder clearly obstructs the runner, but only in a way you award 2nd base only. You delay dead ball signal and verbally award second.
No, that would not be correct
Quote:

Runner beats the tag at second and makes it there safely. But for some reason she starts to run to 3rd. I hope you did not kill the play, because she is at risk of being put out.

So why would you kill the play at home with a obstruction safe call? You call her safe and ball is still in play.
Okay, next concern is that the play is not "killed" anywhere along the way. What makes you think it is?