View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 09:16pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

[ASA Co-Ed] Sub & Pitching Questions

Stuff that came up from last night.

(1) Do subs have to return to the same spot in the batting order? We were batting a straight 10 (no EH's) and we had S11 come for B1. Later in the game, when we made a pitching change, the manager subbed B1 for B7. I didn't think it was legal, since I'm used to NFHS FP where starters must re-enter in their original spot. Of course, I'm still an ASA rule novice and didn't wanna be wrong either.

(2) If a team bats 12 (with 2 EH's) does the EH playing on defense for one of the original 10 count as a substitution. Our manager said he read the rules and that when the EH takes a field position, it counts as a sub and the original player has a re-entry. Personally, from what I read here, I thought having an EH playdefense was not a sub but a position change.

(3) In the game before ours, the pitcher was pitching so flat that he wasn't coming close to having 6' of arc in the first couple of innings. Is that supposed to be an illegal pitch? The umpire wasn't calling them illegal. (And I do seem to recall the IP penalty in SP is still a ball on the batter and runners getting the next base, unless the batter swings.)

Aside from that, it's been a fun season since we're in 2nd place right now and in good shape for the playoffs in a couple of weeks.

And don't worry, If I help this team out next year, I _will_ be getting an ASA rulebook for myself. I figure if I'm going to do this for 2 or more years, I may as well become as rule-knowledgeable on my own as possible. But thanks for helping me with the initial learning curve this summer.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Jul 09, 2008 at 09:26pm.