View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleump
The reason I started this thread was to hear what you thought about paid umpires told stories about gift certificates were allowed and pay was not allowed.
Gift certificates, hats, shirts, equipment, hot dogs or cash (which is just as good as money) are all the same. It's compensation for your time. A "thank you", if you will.

I work for a defense contractor, and we have very specific guidelines as to how much of a "thank you" we can give our customers. I think it's down to $5 now. And that's a cheap pen. No more wining and dining the generals and admirals, everything's reportable. LL should have the same standard, IF they wish to be consistent. If not, then they should shut up about it, IMO.

I'm a UIC of a local. I've given NB plate shoes and WV Golds to my volunteer guys. Is that payment? Damn right it is. How about those embroidered Honig's shirt I get for tourney work? Yep. Hats, pins and all the popcorn chicken my patent leather belt will allow. Yes sir, that's payment.

Now, here's my real beef. Why is anyone whining about this? Why are people lining up to do these games, and then complaining about the process to get there? It is what it is. I mean, PAID umpires are in such short supply, and some of you are complaining about being shut out of volunteering for LL games. STFU!

Last edited by kylejt; Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 09:41pm.